Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Hey all! It's "Betty" here.  So, I am a huge goober when it comes to musicals and it surprisingly comes from my right wing mother and not my gay father. My mom would always clean on the weekends, which is where my neat-freak side comes from, and while she was cleaning she would have Turner Classic Movies or American Movie Classics on. I was an only child and had to help clean before I could go out with friends, so I ended up watching a lot of musicals. Long story short, I fell in love with them. I have always thought that life would be more interesting if people actually broke out into song and dance in the middle of the street. There is almost always a happy ending and the suspension from reality is a nice break sometimes. Anyway, I watched one of my favorite musicals today at work (I work in a nursing home), "The Harvey Girls" with Judy Garland.  Judy Garland is one of my favorite people and it has been so long since I have seen this movie I completely forgot how awesome it was!  There is a scene at the beginning of the movie when Judy gets off the train that has to be one of the biggest musical numbers MGM ever did.  It is amazing!
 


It was really nice to revisit one of my old favorites and watching it made me remember spending time with my mom. It has been almost 7 years since I got kicked out and even though my mom was a huge bitch about me coming out, I miss her like crazy.

1 comment:

  1. While not a fan of Broadway musicals I do remember fondly watching Fifties musicals at the Roosevelt Theater in Downingtown when I was ten years old. You're right about the happiness of breaking out in song, which always used to startle me when they did do that. It's nice that seeing those old movie musicals brought back memories of your Mom...Betty (the name of my Mom), much the same way that the smell of thsoe Toll House cookies I made this week brought back memories of my Mom. Oh by the way, my Mom wasn't too thrilled about me coming out either. I got the old "What did I DO WRONG? I thought I raised you right" Uh huh. Hey Mom, I was BORN this way. Had nothing to do with the way you raised me.

    ReplyDelete